Sunday, February 8, 2009

Week 3, Thing #7

"Simply blog about anything technology related," is the cue for this 'thing' so I'll write about learning to transfer audio cassettes and LPs to CD or to iTunes. I spent a good bit of last weekend on this and probably got a few more gray hairs in the process, but at last I got it figured out. I'm so grateful to techies who share their knowledge online with those of us who are not so knowledgable. This is a good skill for a school librarian to have. I've already transferred a couple of cassettes for a teacher (note to the copyright police: the content of the cassettes is not available on CD). And I've learned to love my USB turntable--although looking through my lp collection, I can't imagine why I bought a lot of that stuff. :)

Another tech related blessing to me is the automation of our libraries. Most of us have been automated for so long--or never worked in a non-automated library--that I think we take it too much for granted. This weekend I created reports on new fiction, non-fiction, and video in my library...painlessly and from home! Earlier today I read a review in the newspaper of a book I'd like to read, so I went online and requested it from the local public library (and I'm only 4th in line!).

One of the coolest applications I've heard of in a while is the video lessons our computer apps teacher creates for his substitute when he has to be away from school.

That's enough of this--on to thing #8.

No comments:

Post a Comment